The Christmas Backpacks Ministry seeks to meet the physical and spiritual needs of those living in the Appalachian Area and in upstate South Carolina. One of the greatest ministry needs occurs at Christmas. OFBC has been asked to respond to this need. The backpacks received will be distributed to needy children and teenagers during events at which the Gospel will be shared.
This year Backpacks will be delivered to Cedar Ridge Ministries in Williamsburg, Kentucky; four schools in Jenkins, Kentucky; struggling textile mill villages in Upstate South Carolina; and a small church in Taylors, South Carolina that serves underprivileged children.
Below is a specific list of items to include this year. The children receiving them will open the bags together and the bags need to be as similar as possible. They prefer Quality over Quantity.
Please return bags to the Church Office or The Pier Lobby by September 19, 2021.
ITEMS THAT MUST BE INCLUDED:
- 3 Winter Accessories - such as hats, scarves, gloves, warm socks
- 3 Pop Top Cans of Food - such as Vienna sausages, SpaghettiOs, ravioli, fruit
- 3 Other Food Items - such as wrapped hard candy like Jolly Ranchers and Blo-Pops, jerky, fruit snacks, breakfast bars, gum, sun-flower seeds NO PEANUT PRODUCTS, PLEASE!
- An age appropriate Bible or Bible story book.
Other Items to ALSO INCLUDE:
FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN:
- Hygiene Items - Place the following items in a Ziploc bag: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap or body wash, shampoo, brush or comb, washcloth
- 3 Fun Items - such as fleece blankets, stuffed animals, dolls, hair accessories, cars, crayons and coloring books, craft sets, puzzles, flash cards, card games like Old Maid or Go Fish
FOR OLDER CHILDREN/TEENS:
- Hygiene Items -Place the following items in a Ziploc bag: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap or body wash, shampoo, brush or comb, wash cloth, deodorant
- 3 Fun Items - such as make-up, jewelry, fleece blankets, balls, thermos, flashlights, craft sets, drawing items, markers, colored pencils, teen coloring books, Sudoku, Word Finds, hunting magazines, card games like UNO or Phase 10
LABELING your BACKPACK
Tie two ribbons securely to the backpack to indicate both gender and age of recipient.
Blue for a boy
Pink for a girl
Purple for K (ages 3-5)
Yellow for Grades 1-3 (ages 6-8)
Green for Grades 4-5 (ages 9-10)
Red for Grades 6-8 (ages 11-13)White for Grades 9-12 (ages 14-17)